Saturday, August 23, 2014

Greetings from Idaho Falls! - From Sister Pattie McLaughlin

Joy (aka Sister Clay) does not know that I am making this post, but since she won't actually see it until after her mission, I thought I would share the kind message shown below. - Val Clay (aka Dad)

-------------------------------------------------

July 20, 2014


Dear Br. & Sister Clay,

I just wanted to take a minute and write you an email about your wonderful daughter-Hermana Clay!  My husband and I have had the priviledge to work with her and Hermana Caballero for the last 2 months.  We were called from our Stake to be Stake Missionaries in the Spanish Branch that your daughter serves in.   My husband speaks Spanish and I understand some and really want to be able to speak it. As the weeks have gone by, it's been so wonderful to get to know her and watch her as she faithfully and diligently is serving the Lord.  She is mature and confident, gentle and so kind.  I was surprised when she told me her age.  I thought she was older than she is.

My husband and I have had 2 missionaries out of 4 children and we always loved any news we could get about our missionary.  So, I thought I would send some first hand personal experiences to you.  Today, for example, Hermanas Caballero & Clay taught a lesson in Gospel Essentials on Eternal Marriage.  Whenever she is teaching the Gospel, whether it is with an investigator or in class like this, her face just lights up. Even though I can't understand every word that she says, I can feel how strong her testimony is and in her kind and gentle way, she is Powerful!  It's a joy to watch her bear it frequently!

Hermana Clay is doing a great job for only being out such a short time even with Spanish.  She has a great companion in Hermana Caballero.  I can tell that they are a great team.  As a matter of fact, I tell them that the Spirit is so strong, that I'm always crying around them and that is really the truth.

I have been in quite the powerful discussion with them with an investigator named Rosio, whom they dropped from teaching after this meeting. This discussion was done in English.  Rosio had been progressing, but, this time that we went to visit, Rosio said that she had changed her mind from getting direction and so much help from the Book of Mormon to that the Book of Mormon was just words on a page.  I watched as your daughter gently testified of the truthfulness of the Book of Mormon and that she knew that it was more than just words on a page.  She was strong and powerful with gentleness and there was such a strong and amazing spirit there.  Hopefully at some point Rosio will recognize missing the Spirit that the missionaries brought into her home and will want to know what it is about them that she feels that way.

My husband and I have had the chance to work with this great companionship with a sweet investigator named Aide.  It has been wonderful to watch your daughter teach Aide the truths of the Gospel.  It's so interesting to watch her and watch the Holy Ghost work through her.  I can tell you she is doing much good in the Branch and with the people and families that she is teaching!  Aide has a 13 yr. old daughter and a 10 yr. old son and it's so fun to watch the sisters interact with these kids.  They do an Awesome job!

On a personal level, my daughter is getting married on Aug. 16th.  There is so much to do!  Hermanas Cabellero & Clay offered to help me.  They have come over at least 3 times and helped me put little fabric covers on the top of little jam jars that we are giving away as little favors at the end of the wedding.  They have saved me hours, days, probably even a week by doing this.  It's been wonderful to get to find out about their families and their lives and their decisions to come on a mission and what they thought when they were coming to Idaho!  They have been an amazing blessing in my life!

Hermana Clay has played her violin at a baptism.  I was her accompanist there.  She was patient and kind, even when I didn't do very well playing the piano.  She has also played in our branch and in other Wards as well.  She is amazingly talented that way!  I felt like I could just get lost in the sweetness of the music that she was playing!  Thank you for sharing her with us!  The people in the Branch love her!

I'm learning how to be a missionary from watching this great companionship! What a great example I have to learn from!   You can be very proud of her!  She's doing an AMAZING job out here in Idaho!

Most sincerely,

Pattie McLaughlin

No comments:

Post a Comment