Hello Family!
It's finally P-day so I can write you all. I'm not allowed to say "guys" anymore. That's a struggle sometimes.
Well, I'm going to try to quickly go through what has happened throughout the week. It's been sort of a blur.
Amy, thank you so much for surprising me! It was seriously the best. Brian and Brittany, thanks for coming as well. Mom, I'm SO glad you were there with me! I hope you didn't have too big of a break down ;)
When you guys dropped me off, I got a little sad when I hugged you all goodbye. But, as soon as I walked away with the sister, I felt SO happy and excited! I went through lines and stuff to get my things. I then got shuttled to the West campus. I put my stuff in my room and met my companion, Hermana Horne. She is from Orem, Utah and is super nice. We get along well and are learning how to work with each other. Then, I went to my classroom and met my teacher, Hermano Loiza (I think that's how you spell his name). He is really awesome. They put me in the intermediate class. What the heck? I don't know Spanish that well! I can understand most things that are said, but speaking the language is a whole different story. That night, we went over to main to sort of group teach. I had a very powerful moment there where my heart was pounding and I knew I needed to tell the "investigator" something. It was crazy. Sadly, we ran out of time so I couldn't share. The last investigator was wanting to know about something and one of the missionaries said, "Would you like to pray right now?" And he said yes, and then pointed to me and asked me to say the prayer. So I had to pray in front of loads of people. Awesome. Just kidding. But it was kind of weird because I had this feeling that I should offer to pray and then he called on me.
Day 2 was a long day. They're all long days. I've discovered that gym time is one of my favorite times. It's a nice break from sitting in class all day long. That day I gained a stronger testimony about God's love for us. If you have a chance, do the activity on page 2 of Preach My Gospel.
Oh yeah, my district is AWESOME. I love them all. It's all Hermanas so they call us the "sistrict". It's Hermana Concidine, Day, Horne, Clay, Weeks, and McMurray.
Day 3, we taught our first "investigator", Andres. IN SPANISH. Wowzers, that was rough. Even though we could hardly speak any Spanish, the Spirit was there. I learned that I really needed to focus on Andres while teaching and try to understand what the Spirit is guiding me and my companion to say. That night we got a quick class from Hermano Griffin, who told us that Spanish is only a tool. We need to focus on bringing other closer to Christ. The Spanish will come. I've learned a lot about my purpose this first week. But it's not just my purpose; it's God's purpose.
Day 4, we taught again. It went better than the day before. I can't remember what we taught him. One thing that he said that I thought was awesome was that he was a doctor for the body and we are doctors for the Spirit. We challenged him to baptism, but he declined. Our "sistrict" had a much needed break that day. We laughed a lot and just had a great time talking to each other. I got my package from Mom and Dad that day! Thanks so much! The candy is gone and the money is spent. I bought Hermana Concidine candy for her birthday and used the rest on laundry detergent. So thank you! It was really fun to get.
Day 5 = church. Our branch president is super awesome. You can really tell they love all of us. I'm doing choir here and it is so great! I love it and it's such a nice break. We had devotional up at main that night. Then, we watched a video of a talk given by Elder Bednar. Oh my word. That talk is seriously incredible! I learned so much more about my Savior and how I can be like Him. Turn outward, not inward! I'm trying to work on that.
Day 6: Hermana Horne and I were planning to teach Andres a lesson on the Plan of Salvation, but then we both felt that we needed to go in the direction of the Restoration. I had such a powerful experience during that lesson. I memorized the First Vision (in Spanish!) and recited it during the lesson. Wow. The Spirit completely filled the room. It was amazing. Joseph Smith was a true prophet and he really did see God and Jesus Christ! Here's a funny story from that day: We were walking home and all the sudden Hermana McMurray's skirt is ON THE GROUND. Hahaha seriously the funniest thing that's happened here so far. Hermana McMurray is awesome and just laughed it off. She's very theatrical. Luckily, no one was around except our district.
Day 7: Last lesson with Andres :( I don't think it went as great. We really had zero time to prepare. The Spirit was definitely there when we bore our testimonies though. We invited to be baptized again, but he said no. But, he said that he is very willing to continue learning and discover for himself if this church is true. So that's good. We had choir practice that night before devotional. Once again, I love choir. We sang "Jesus Once of Humble Birth". Those words are so powerful and with music it's even better! It was really cool to sing with a whole bunch of people. We sang that for devotional. Which by the way, the chairs there are SO uncomfortable. My butt was killin' by the end. I know you really wanted to know that detail. The Zwick's spoke that night. Sister Zwick talked about being patient, which is an attribute that I really need to work on. Elder Zwick spoke about the work of salvation. He asked us what "hasten the work" meant to us. I believe that we first must hasten the work in ourselves before we can hasten the work in others. I thought about Dad and how he has been such a great example to me in this area. Dad, you are always serving others and have such a strong desire to share the Gospel with any and everyone. Thank you for your example. We sang "How Firm a Foundation" for the closing hymn. It made me feel so overwhelmed with love for this work and for the chance that I have to be apart of it!
Today: We went to the temple. Dad, I got your package. Haha it was SO great and I totally was not expecting it. The Hermanas got a good laugh out of it. I will definitely use it. Some of the Hermanas didn't see it, so I'm going to pull a prank on them. We did laundry and now I'm writing you! It hasn't been so relaxing, but I think it will be better once I get the schedule down.
The MTC is going great. It's very challenging, but very rewarding as well. Spanish is difficult, but I'm going to keep working hard to get it. The food is no bueno. I can already feel that I've gained weight. Sweet. This letter is kind of a long one. I wouldn't expect it to be this long every week.
Thank you so much for all that y'all (now I have to be southern) have done for me. I am so grateful for your prayers and support. I hope things are going well! I love you!
Love,
Hermana Clay
Pictures!!
I love Lexi and I thought this was a cute picture
Hermana Horne y yo after a long first day
Thanks for the headbands, madre! Hermana Horne wears her's all the time
My district that I love
Hermana Horne
Hermana McMurray, the crazy one
Life in the MTC














Yay for Joy! Glad she is doing so well. Thanks for posting, Tracy (it's Tracy that's posting, right??)
ReplyDelete